a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Various topics .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

06 August 2005

Various topics

You would think the police in NYC would have more important things to do than this.
ICY CRIME NOTE: New York Times require registration.

Google: I recently got an email from a reader asking if the Google adsense thing was working out for me. This reader then commented that she had heard that in the fine print was a note that if you clicked an add on your page you forefited all of the money. GAH! (I have been know to click an ad if it looks interesting) So I went and looked through the fine print again. It does not say you will forefit your money, it does say they can cancel your account if you click your own ads and that you should NEVER do so. Oops. So no more clicking for me. Now as to the question of how it is working out for me, as I checked my account it seems I have earned about $11. OF course Google doesn't pay you at all until you cross some mystical level of earning. (If I am reading the various legalese correctly) IN one place it looks like that level is $50, in another it speaks of $100. Who knows? At any rate, It is not looking as though I am going to be making enough money from this to avoid getting a real job sometime soon. Sigh..... but readership is increasing and in theory adclicking should increase too. As an aside, as a direct result of my having google ads I tend to click other people's google ads more often. Hoping for Karmic balence....

Stranger danger --- Well I am not the only person to be struck by the irony of the Utah kid hiding from searchers becasue they were strangers. This from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Chilren...

...Kids don’t need to be told the world is a scary place. They watch the news, hear adults talking, and may even experience violence firsthand. Rather, they need to know their parent, guardian, or another trusted adult is there for them if they are in trouble; and most adults they encounter in their lives are basically good people... NCMEC believes the time is now for our society to retire the “stranger-danger” message; realize child safety is much more important than a slogan; and make sure we are arming our children with relevant, age-appropriate messages that will empower them.
LINK

They also make the oh so obvious commnet that most abductions aren't done by strangers, but by people the kid knows and strangers are often the ones who help rescue kids. Is the paranoid culture of fear dying down? No. I seriously doubt it. But there is at least a glimmer of reason showing.

And finally, if you want to see some interesting, disturbing, scary bits of random video footage check out this place Ifilm Warzone These are mostly relativly anonymous bits of footage from the war zone. WARNING: Many of these contain scenes of graphic violence, death, and destruction. but then, it is footage from a war, what do you expect? Another quick note on this, while I didn't see any I have heard that some of the films come complete with army recruitment comercials...who knows?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I agree with the comments about strangers. I was told that I should be aware of my surroundings when I was out. Do not go with someone if I did not know them. But If I did get lost, it was ok to seek out an adult to ask for help. Kids shouldnt have to live in this world scared. They just need to be made more street smart.

2:24 PM  
Blogger --Blue Girl said...

I saw the Icy story in the physical edition of the Times, and the NYC cops are pretty recalcitrant about this. It's an embarrasment, as well it should be. I've been to New York recently, and they have bigger concerns than an unlicenses Icy vendor, especially in the Bronx!

5:35 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Kids need not have to live in fear. Most kids don't get abducted, and the press blows everything out of proportion. Agree with Jen that kids should learn to be street smart. And yes, most abductions are done by relatives, usually the one who got the short end of the stick after the separation.

10:39 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

Making money is the theory behind the google ads. Unless people actually click the bloody things they just sit there and do nothing. (hint)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

It is official. Hurry up & get a job because you have more fun than I do searching for odd things online. And I am supposed to be working, remember?
As for the kids, I like the idea of arming everyone. It might actually do some good because as it is, the mindset that you can hit reset and start all over is becoming to obvious in society, esp. the teen's. I have no real problem with video games, but I think a bit more reality is needed in our society. And I just gave you the perfect opening for 1 of your favoritre rants exmi.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home