a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Afghan bread (Nan or Nam) .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

24 July 2005

Afghan bread (Nan or Nam)

WEll, as I type the second batch of a new recipe is in the oven. I have been trying to get good bread like I has in AF ever since I got back but have thus far failed. This new recipe isn't all that different from the one I had before and I substituted whole wheat flour for regular. It comes out pretty good but still not the same. From what I read the bread in AF is a sour dough mix so I am making some starter and will try again when it is ready. Sooner of later I will get it right.
Note though, what I have this time is really good little whole wheat flat breads. Had one with just butter, expect it to be better with honey or maybe apple butter.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nan -- at least the sort I get in Stateside Indian restaurants -- seems to be pretty glutinous. Go with a high-protein flour and knead the dough until its stretchy.

4:18 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

That is one idea. I am also wondering if I should try using ghee instead of corn/vegtable oil in the mix.
I have discovered that most of my aquaitences have moved on so I have very few peopel around to foist this stuff off on and see what they think of it. Sigh. Must make new friends. A long process.....

11:23 AM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

While I wish I could help you by accepting the foisted off bread, my thighs & waist keep screaming at me.

As for the bread, I still say you need to walk on it. I stand by the theory that part of the reason Afghan bread was better in Afghanistan is because there were little old ladies walking in small circles gossiping for hours until the bread was kneaded to perfection.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I have a recipe for Nan bread that includes yogurt. I could email it to you if you want it?

4:11 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Please do. I will make it and report on how it came out. :)

7:19 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

I am actually in the process of trying that. Although the rather nasty smelling gelatious goo that has resulted so far implies that I may have to start over.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, Mom's starters never smelled very appealing (sort of like sour yoguart)

9:06 AM  
Blogger --Blue Girl said...

I make a killer pita, learned how during a stint in Greece. Recipe is yours if you like. I've never made Nan, however.

3:56 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Send it! I am alwasy open to new food experaments. Interestingly, one of the littel loaves I made of thei Nan came out very pitaesque. It split inot a perfect pocket while baking.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home