a Someone should care, maybe not you....: An interesting post on riots in France .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

12 November 2005

An interesting post on riots in France

I was reading the blog of a civilian working in Afghanistan for an NGO, which I often do because I am very interested in what is going on there still. She had a very interesting post on the riots in France and compared the youth there to the youth of Afghanistan. It is quite a good read.
Buzkachi vs. Riots

In a related thought, I am really quite amazed by some of what I read in these blogs by NGO workers in Afghanistan. It struck me that they spend ALOT of their down time drinking. While we in the Army are forbidden alcohol because it might offend our Islamic "hosts". So we can't drink there but the NGO workers can and do. Confusing a bit, but then, this is the Army we are talking about.

6 Comments:

Blogger exMI said...

OOh, note of interest to me at least, that was my 100th post.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

It is my understanding that the alcohol that does get comsumed by our military is smuggled in by our "Hosts". Or so I have been told by those who have consumed it. Although I have to question how badly you would want to drink anything that came out of a bottle that used to contain bug spray.

11:06 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

There is a fair amount of locally produced hooch that is purchased. More that is purchased from out allies (the brits, French, Germans, Poles, Italians, etc)who do not have our particular obbsesive stupidities.

12:25 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Silly, I say. I've yet to meet an Afghani in America who didn't drink. Oh no! I said it. :p

3:20 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Anonymous is very correct in his/her ascessment of why American soldiers can't drink. Politics suck.
Elizabeth is also correct, I met amny an Afghan who didn't drink. Of course I have met more Babtists who drink than Moslems who drink, so I don't worry about strict observance for alot of folks. E is also correct about the dual mission of ambasador/rebuilder vs occupier and warrior that the troops face. It is very difficult at times.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

11 15 05

Good discussions EXMI and congratulations! Since I am late to the post, I just wanna say that your honesty and analysis is needed here. It is so easy to get a skewed point of view (myself really included admittedly so!) and you examine things from different levels. Keep it up:)

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home