a Someone should care, maybe not you....: mostly filler .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

11 August 2005

mostly filler

Today is mostly filler. I had to drive off to the airport in Jax and pick up my parents who have been away on a working vacation for the last 2 months.
I really need to make a list of things to blog about because I keep coming up with good ideas and then not doing them. Make a list and stick to it with periodic intrusions fro bread or other interesting outside events. In future entries I intend to take the John Horne story and do a comparison of his story with one of the more critical press accounts and give my take on some of the differences. I also intend on doing a semi fictional narrative of a cordon and sweep operation in the mountains of Afghanistan. I also am going to do some edited for legality accounts of some of the more interesting interrogations I did. (I say edited for legality becasue details of the interrogations are classified.) I am not going to get into the book and movie reviews as a general rule becasue so many other people are doing it so well already. Exceptions will be made as the mood strikes me though.

I have finally noticed the underlying (or an underlying) cause for many of my more egregious spelling errors. My left hand types faster than my right. I am guessing this is primarily due to the abuse I have heaped on my right hand in the many years of fencing I have done. But I often end up with teh instead of the, or peopel for people, taht/that. I am sure you have noticed it. I try and fix it but miss a few. (the spell check doesn't work with the configuration of my Firefox so I live with it). Add that to a congenital spelling defect in my brain (I am orthographicly challenged)and things get messy. Spell check on my old Commodore 64 got me through college.

As a final note, I would like to encourage everyone to read Michael Yon's blog.
Michael Yon: Online Magazine
His latest entry is about an encounter with IEDs in Iraq and the chaos that ensues. It contains a graphic description of what happens in a vehicle that is hit. He also discusses the progress of the forces there, and situation. His comments on how the Iraqis view Abu Graib prison should be eye-opening to everyone who is convinced it is a horrible torture center.

Enough for now.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

You used to fence? That's so cool.
You know Bruce Dickinson, singer of Iron Maiden, once ranked #7 best fencer in England.

Fencing is something I've always wanted to do but never got around to. I took two years of Kali/Escrima, but never fencing. I'd love to have that skill too.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

"Spell check on my old Commodore 64 got me through college."

My Dad typed his dissertation on a typewriter, then gave it to a "professional" to retype without
errors. The typist introduced more errors and so my family got a Commodore 64 when I was two years old. I'd still use it if it hadn't fried. I miss it!

2:29 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I actually still have my C-64. Used to have three of them but they seem to have vanished over the years.

Actually I still fence. although trying to get back into it after a 2 year layoff is not being fun.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Miranda said...

We had about four. They all fried.
Although on rare occasions one will work for awhile. :)

8:01 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Teh Commodore 64b computer was a precurser of the modern PC. It had an amazing 64K of memory. Unfortunetly, the guys running Commodore were much more interested in tax breaks than in a successful business so the company is no more.
As to whether any of this stuff maters or not, well that is in the eye ovf teh reader I suppose. And me, it matters to me.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home