a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Nan II The Product of the General...... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

09 August 2005

Nan II The Product of the General......

This past weekend I once again threw myself into baking mode. It is becoming surprisingly common. I gain made an effort at a form of Nan. (for those not in the know that is a southwest asian/Indian subcontinent flat bread) This recipe was provided to me by one of you, the readers. And I thank thegeneralx for it.
I have decided to enclose the recipe this time too.

1&3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unflavored yogurt
1 egg slightly beaten
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
vegetable oil
Poppy seeds (optional)

Mix all ingredients except milk, vegetable oils and poppy seeds. STir in enough milk to make a soft dough. turn dough onto lightly floured surface: knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bow: turn greased side up. cover: let rest in warm place 3 hours.
Divided dough into 6-8 equal parts. flatten each part on lightly floured surface, rolling it into a flat 6x4 inch oval shape about 1/4 inch thick. Brush with vegetable oil and sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
Place two cookie sheets/pan into the oven: heat to 450 degreee. Place bread on pans. Bake until firm, 6-8 minutes.


I varied this only in that I cooked the bread on a pizza stone instead of cookie trays. It makes a nice light tasty bread. Again, not the Nan I remember from afghanistan but good. This is the first Nan attempt I have done that was not labeled "AFGHAN" and I rather suspect it's origin is more India, simply because that is where more of this stype stuff comes from. The biggest difference I saw between this and the other recipies I have tried is the others have all called for yeast, or a sourdough starter. This works fine without it. The nan baked here is great with rasberry or apricot jam, honey, or as a dipping bread when eating something dippable, I did clam chowder (and I avoided cutting my hand open this time) I was going to try chili but found out I didn't have the makings too late. The nan keeps pretty well, I have one loaf left. I have kept it wrapped in a dishtowel and it hasn't gone stale at all. 15 seconds inthe microwave heats it up nicely. I'll probably eat this one for breakfast today.

I have pretty much given up the dream of getting my nan exactly like that I had in Afghanistan. the water here is different, the flour is different and unless I build a charcoal/wood burning oven in my backyard, the oven is different. But I will keep experimenting. And reporting results. I really wish I could find my digital camera so I could take pictures of the fresh bread and post here. It looks good.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Dang. I have no access to a kitchen. I love doing completely foods, so I'll have to copy this recipe and try it when I have access to a kitchen again.

Never had Afghanistan food though, so nothing to compare this to.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Forzavryheid said...

I LOVE NAN bread.

Having it with curry while its snowing outside and dark as sin for 20 hours a day in Edinburgh takes a lot to be beaten.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

So when are you going to build the outdoor fire pit?
And stop tormenting me with bread!! AAARRRGH!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

Politics AND recipes? I should have visited your blog a long time ago! And I would have, except
that I didn't know about it!

Now, is the addition of jam
your idea originally or do
people in Afghanistan really
put some on?

Wait, wait. Is that the bread that's pronounced Na-an or
is that something else?

9:38 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

I demand that you post more often.
I'm all addicted and there's not enough to read.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Heya, Betty Crocker, why don't you make your way to my place and get your bake on? I'll let you. I won't even ask questions!

12:06 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I never had jam on Nan in Afghanistan. It was my idea. (Although I suspect they do it there, jsut seems too logical)

I spent years telling peopel I could cook, I just didn't. I have finally decided to prove it everyone.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

As a long time friend of exmi's let me state for the record that the man can definitely cook. Amazingly well in fact. All of the recipes involving chocolate fall under I will fight over them like a rabid dog if someone else's fork gets between me and my piece.
However, he insists on making items I am allergic too and then tormenting me with them.
If only the bread did not smell so good!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home