a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Afghanistan from the air .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

23 September 2005

Afghanistan from the air



This picture is of an unidentified Afghan village taken from the gunner's window on a Chinook helicopter. One of the advantages of being the "MI guy" was that you and your interpreter were the first two guys on the chopper. We were cargo, the infantry got on after us so they could get off before us to secure the landing zone. This of course always put me right next to the side door gunner so I could take pictures out the window while we were enroute. It was a priveledge I used constantly.

In the picture you can notice the characteristic fortress style of Afghan architecture. Walled compounds were the norm in many parts of the country and entire extended families would live inside the compound. About the only places I didn't see walled compounds was in the cities or towns (and often houses in Kabul would still have walls.)and in the mountains where there just wasn't enough flat ground to build walls.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

That's a pretty good picture.

Walled compounds, huh? I bet Afghanistan will be prepared for the upcoming zombie plague.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I hope this wont sound ignorant of me. But the all green surprises me. I never think of it being green there anywhere.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home