a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Rainy Sunday .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

26 June 2006

Rainy Sunday

It had been cloudy all day but it really started to darken up and get breezy just as I was finishing the hole. About 2.5 feet x1 foot x4 feet it didn't look like much, just a hole in the ground next to the pomegranate tree. I looked up at the sky, sighed, and went to drag a piece of tin over to keep the hole from filling with water should it start to rain while I was gone. Then I got in the truck and headed over to the vet's office. The vet wasn't open on Sunday but one of his assistants would be there. She was sympathetic and said she had been pulling for him but it was to no avail. I had gotten the call earlier that day that sometime between 0615 and 0845 my dog had died. He had been bitten by a snake Weds afternoon/evening. By late weds night his head had swollen to the size of a basketball. It came down the next day but stayed about twice normal size. He just never recovered. Perhaps if I had had an extra $500 to spend on anti-venom things would have been different. But who cares about maybes? The asssitant brought me the towel wrapped and trashbagged bundle. I offered her the towel back but she said I could keep it. She also had his collar. As I carried him to the car the rain finally began to fall. I sat the sad bundle on the front seat and drove home. When I got here I put the other dogs into the house, I didn't need them sniffing around right now. Then I moved the tin and brought the dog from the truck. I took him out of the trashbag and put his collar on him, gently layed him down in the hole and filled it in. I went inside and got a bag of wild flower seeds and spread a handfull or two on the freshly turned earth. The rain was still falling.




RIP BEADLE

5 Comments:

Blogger Gunngirl said...

Oh ExMi, I'm so, so sorry! I am really sorry and sad for you. Believe me I know how you feel. I know you know about my cat Scarlett. I still think about her often, I miss her so much.

I can't imagine your grief. Pets are like family, we get just as sad as if a human died. No, you can't worry about maybe's. I am very happy you were able to bring him home, bury him, sprinkle your seeds and keep him close to you at your house. That is why I didn't want to give Scarlett away. I just couldn't stand handing her over after all these years. I asked if we could receive the body back, they said no.

I am sure he wasn't in any pain. So sorry again, Exmi. I know he had many good times with you and was a very happy and loved doggy. He's so cute!
The heavens are crying for you too and so am I.

((hugs!))

1:44 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

I have yet to have a pet survive more than a couple of years. Granted I've only ever had fish and a hedgehog, but none really ever made it. It's funny how much we look to these animals for love (okay, maybe not so much the fish), but just as surprising: how much they love us back. The death of a pet can be as difficult to understand as that of a child: innocent and loving; they do nothing to merit such an end.
*moment of silence for Beadle*

3:15 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Thanks to the both of you.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

Damn it, he should have made it. He survived everything else, (including me) what was a snake bite?

I'm sorry. I miss him too.

How are the others coping without Beadle? I'm sure Max & PK are oblivious, but what about Deeters & the idiot?

2:12 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

DD is unflappable. She seems to have hardly noticed. "the idiot" (why didn't you name it that?)has been quite concerned and nervous around me ever since I put Beadle in the car and DIDN'T BRING HIM BACK. She had been quite submissive.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home