a Someone should care, maybe not you....: What is a book? .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

15 January 2007

What is a book?

First, let me admit this post is a theft. I have stolen it from HERE. I would feel real bad about doing this except this is a excerpt from the writings of Abu 'Uthman 'Amr b. Bahr al-Jahiz, a 9th century Arabic writing.

"A book is a receptacle filled with knowledge, a container crammed with good sense, a vessel full of jesting and earnestness. If can if you wish be more eloquent that Sahban b. Wa'il, or less talkative than Baqil: it will amuse you with anecdotes, inform you on all manner of astonishing marvels, entertain you with jokes or move you with homiles, just as you please. you are free to find in it an entertaining adviser, an encouraging critic, a villainous ascetic, a silent talker, or hot coldness...

"Moreover have you ever seen a garden that will go into a man's sleeve, an orchard you can take on your lap, a speaker who can speak of the dead and yet be interpreter of the living? Where else will you find a companion who sleeps only when you are alseep, and speaks only when you wish him to... You denigrate books, whereas to my mind there is no pleasanter neighbour, no more fair minded friend, no more amenable companion, no more dutiful teacher, no comrade more perfect and less prone to error, less annoying or importunate, of a sweeter disposition, less inclined to contradiction or accusation, less disposed to slander or backbiting, more marvellous, cleverer, less demanding or quarrelsome, less prone to argument or more opposed to strife, than a book."


If I were still teaching school I would print this out and put it on my wall.

4 Comments:

Blogger opit said...

I had been an inveterate bookworm, although my tastes ran to fiction rather than poetry , science or philosophy. My excuse : people will tell more truth when declaring it a lie than when stating otherwise.
My reading has become overtaken by electronic to-and-fro. As you state, feedback is nice. Even bluegal gets her "fix" from comments on a busy site where there is quick response : even if it's just to blast dissent. You seem more introspective than that.

8:44 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I read constantly. I usually have at least three books going at once. If you choose your authors well you can learn alot from fiction. Many science fiction authors (at least the good ones) base their stories on historical events and rework them into the future.

11:29 AM  
Blogger opit said...

http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/

3:07 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

David Brin writes good stuff. I have been reading his stuff for years.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home