a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Life imitating art......... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

20 June 2009

Life imitating art.........

For the last week or so life has been imitating art in Iran. You can imagine all the young idealists on the streets of Tehran singing.
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!


Now you can hear the cynical, hard, old men in the back rooms and shadows singing.

One more day to revolution,
We will nip it in the bud!
We'll be ready for these schoolboys,
They will wet themselves with blood!


Now in a day or two, or perhaps right now, as I type......

There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Now my friends are dead and gone.

Here they talked of revolution.
Here it was they lit the flame.
Here they sang about `tomorrow'
And tomorrow never came.

From the table in the corner
They could see a world reborn
And they rose with voices ringing
I can hear them now!
The very words that they had sung
Became their last communion
On the lonely barricade at dawn.

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.

Phantom faces at the window.
Phantom shadows on the floor.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more.

Oh my friends, my friends, don't ask me
What your sacrifice was for
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will sing no more.


That is the likely outcome. Of course there is a small chance that things will turn out more like Romania, or the Ukraine instead of Tienanmen Square. But that would require the police and military forces to switch to the supporting the protesters. I doubt that will happen primarily because I suspect that all the local police and security forces have been moved out or locked in their barracks while forces have been moved in from the rural provinces that supported Ahmadinejad and would probably love to kick some uppity young city slicker butt.

Odds are-----It's going to get really ugly over there.


For the record, I wish those Republicans that are condemning Obama for not being more vocal about this would SHUT THE HELL UP. That last thing the reformers in Iran need to be publicly supported by the Great Satan.

3 Comments:

Blogger opit said...

Amen to that.
Funny how everyone forgets to mention one little detail on the side of the media promotion of Twitter News - not many Iranians use that BTW.
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/2009/06/21/hersh-us-has-a-covert-operation-in-iran/
BTW I've been switching to Blogger because of 404 errors coming on my internal blog backlinks. Do you have that happen if your links are still on your front page ? It suddenly occured to me that I might have shot myself in the foot : not that it would be the first time.

12:35 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Haven't noticed it being a problem here.

7:38 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Agreed on all counts.

These Republicans are pissing me off. The last thing we need is for us to start openly supporting anyone, because that will just backfire.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home