a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Here's an idea most biologists will hate .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

18 August 2005

Here's an idea most biologists will hate

My sister is a biologist. She has ranted on and off about invasive species and such similar things. I thought of that when I found this article. Big Game Imports to summarize, some researchers think that it would be a good idea to introduce many animals from the african savannahs to the great plains of the US. Why you ask? Because they think these animals could fill the ecological spots formerly filled by mamoths, sabertooth tigers, and similar extinct creatures, and provide a new enviroment for the endagered species of Africa. A further benefit would be to provide an increase in tourism to the currently economicaly depressed areas of the great plains. Of course one can expect ranchers and farmers to be a tad leery of releasing lions and elephants to roam the plains. Interesting idea but I see issues.....

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Farmers and Ranchers already have a problem with preditors killing their stock..Can you see the happy faces when they get the news that they are going to have lions to deal with...but its good for tourism...of course lets do it lol

2:16 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

How about bringing back the buffalo, and other things that actually belong there?

9:36 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Well, the spammers have finally found me. I have to wonder about the value of a cedar tree with no oils or sap inthe wood though.....

Buffalo would be good, the lions need something to eat. Besides Angus beef.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Forzavryheid said...

Im not sure elephants would be a good idea-

They will soon outbreed their living area and will need to be culled.

Then animal rights activists will drag the issue out in court for YEARS and soon Washington will resemble the Jungle Book, full of elephants roaming the streets while the issue gets debated.

In the meantime, they destroy your vegetation as they do and fill your streets and plains in poop.

SOUNDS FUN, NO?

4:58 PM  
Blogger Gunngirl said...

I agree with at80 This idea sounds good in theory, but...I just don't know. I don't think the animals will adapt, and I'm one for the animals. I'm not for shipping them any and everywhere for tourism.

but I am for reproducing and upping their numbers.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home