a Someone should care, maybe not you....: An interesting experiment.... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

30 August 2005

An interesting experiment....

Go out into your backyard some night with a flashlight, I get best success with a light with a bright tightly focused beam. (I use my dive light) I then put the light on top of my head to get the best angle of reflection. Now look around at teh groudn and you will notice small emerald green light shining back at you from the grass. Focu on one and walk over to it and look down. Bingo, you have just found a spider. Spiders eyes reflect green. And it is AMAZING how many of them are out there in the yard. Interestingly enough, moths' (or at least the ones that are sleeping in the top of the bahia grass in my yard) eyes reflect gold. So tonight I would see clusters of gold shining up in the grass and green flecks from down in the deep.
Now the most interesting spider I came across doing thiw was last year. I suddenly saw a bright green refelction coming from the air. I walked over and there was a garden spider spinning it's web. The cool thing was that I could see the spider with the light but not the web. So I got to watch this spider dansing in mid air for several minutes before he (or she) ascended up into the tree.
Give it a try some night. It is interesting.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephalupogus said...

I just want to know if you figured out what the dogs are barking at cause I'd like a solid nights sleep some day soon.

10:36 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I have a pretty good idea but ther is no real solution. The beagle wants to hunt. And the the other just joins in the noise. At least that seemed the issue last night.

7:33 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

We didn't mow our lawn in the back for weeks because we thought we were going to destroy the backyard and put up a mini-golf course back there. Well, it didn't happen. The last job didn't work out, so we're moving.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I had to mow the lawn and you wouldn't believe how many spiders started scrambling away from the lawn mower.

I'll have to try that sometime.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home