a Someone should care, maybe not you....: And the feeding frenzy starts anew..... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

03 September 2005

And the feeding frenzy starts anew.....

The Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, William Rehnquist, has died at his home in Virginia the age of 80.

This will of course set off the rampant raging, screaming, fits by the left and the right over who should replace him.  The most annoying, from my point of view, are the strident abortionists, pro and con.  It is like many of them can't see the rest of the world outside of a uterus.
Bush will of course appoint a conservative and there will be much weeping and wailing from the left that the "right" to an abortion will be taken away.  Which is of course balderdash.  As long as Bush is replacing the conservative wing of the Supreme Court all he does by appointing another conservative is restore the status quo ante bellum.  Really nothing to get terribly excited about. (on the abortion front)
I am much more concerned about a possible appointee's views on civil liberties, private property, the entire first amendment, and little things like that.  Maybe it's a guy thing.....    

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

No matter what the President does..there will be someone bitching. And no I dont think its just a guy thing. I think there are more issues out there to be concerned with besides those of abortion.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

I really have been concerned about the abortion issue for twenty years. If there is an issue that could permanently divide the United States, abortion trumps Iraq, Katrina, and all else. The problem is that, taken from the individual point of view there is much to say in favor of both sides, even to make both sides unshakeable. The terrible stories of self-abortion butchery with coat hangers is true, as is the fact that abortion has always been available to the wealthy but not to the rest of "us". On the other hand, if you believe, as I do, that destruction of a fetus is, if not murder, certainly close to murder of innocent life, that leaves little room for compromise. That, indeed is the frightening thing about abortion. If you are convinced on one side or the other, there is almost no room for compromise.

6:44 PM  
Blogger DS Irvin said...

yup, civil liberties is much more important.

As far as the abortion thing goes, if you are basing your views on Christian principles and you don't accept abortion, then you should not accept the death penalty. Because, it is wrong to judge people - you must let God judge.

So, I laugh in the face of all Christians who appose abortion and support the death penalty. Sorry.

I hope Bush is only able to appoint old judges.

7:59 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I am not terribly fond of the concept of abortion. But I have no problem with the death penalty. In part because they have done something to deserve death, and in part because I consider it more humane than locking them in cage for the rest of their life.

1:44 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I am much more concerned about a possible appointee's views on civil liberties, private property, the entire first amendment, and littel things like that. Maybe it's a guy thing.....

For me, it's the 2nd and the 4th I'm most concerned about. I don't worry about the 1st too much. I'll say what I have to say no matter what anyone says about it and anyone trying to silence me gets shot at. ;)

8:29 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I agree about the death penalty...If your going to have one, use it, if not lose it. But dont setence someone to death row and then leave them there for 20 or 30 years trying to work out the details of when you are going to do the deed.
As far as abortion goes. I disagree with it. I think that when life begins, it begins..end of story. Im not quite sure its a matter that the government should have a say so in though.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home