a Someone should care, maybe not you....: a quote.... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

27 April 2006

a quote....

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."
-H. L. Mencken

I saw this quote and it admirably summed up my thoughts on several issues that have been roiling about in my brain. I watch the news and see people sentenced to prison for what they think. (hate crime legislation) Sex offender registries, while ostensibly serving a noble purpose,"protecting the children" accomplish little more than to demonize people who screwed up at some point in their life and prevent them from ever really reestablishing themselves in society. (the REALLY dangerous offenders don't bother to register)
Illegal immigrants being equated to terrorists and sabatuers sneaking into our country to destroy us.

I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me on a lot of this stuff but hey, if I wanted people to agree with me I'd say Bush is an idiot and the war in Iraq is illegal. (He's not and it isn't)
Expect more on this in the future. Like it or not.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I like the quote exmi. I will admit that Im not as politcally educated as I should be.

So forgive the annolgy...But just because we choose not to look under our beds..doesnt mean theres no monsters there.

I dont have the answers for the worlds problems. But it gets to me that there are alot of people in this world who feel if they just play nice and look the other way..The monsters of the world will stay out from under their beds.

What does it take for them to get it? Is it because their memories are too short?

3:38 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

I'm not saying there aren't monsters. I know there are and I have met some of the big ones. I am saying that teh government and people need to be a bit more selective when they start throwing the tar around. Frankly I do not now nor have I ever believed it is the governments job to protect me from anything except foreign armies. The rest is pretty much up to me.
The acceptance of the violation of anyone's rights makes it that much easier to violate someone elses untill there are no rights.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

exmi said ~ "Frankly I do not now nor have I ever believed it is the governments job to protect me from anything except foreign armies. The rest is pretty much up to me.
The acceptance of the violation of anyone's rights makes it that much easier to violate someone elses untill there are no rights."

Exmi you are right and I agree with you 100%. I just mean that whether it is as an individual or as a country we cant pretend its not out there.

The bad stuff and people dont go away just because we pretend not to see it.

10:18 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Well, don't worry about people agreeing with you. I sure don't. ;)

As for illegals, send 'em all back. I'm tired of their whining and especially their disrespect for us.

11:50 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

So which part don't you agree with or is it all in general?

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home