a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Seen while driving .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

20 April 2006

Seen while driving

Sometimes you come across things that you don't expect while driving down the road. One that I will always remember was a semi trailer with the markings of a major southeastern grocery store that had radiation hazard markings in all the little warning plaque places on the trailer. I have always wondered about that one.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving through BFE* South Carolina when I came upon this road sign.



Now I suppose one shouldn't be surprised at finding things like this in rather rural areas but still it was a surprise. I also was a bit surprised merely because I have spent so long in the military where OPSEC (Operational Security)is emphasized.
But there it was. My sense of OPSEC insists that I blur the names of the neighboring towns even though I know it isn't a "BIG DEAL" but I just felt uncomfortable without doing it.


* BFE Bum Fuq Egypt. This is a real town in the desserts of Egypt and some poor soldier who was stuck there, probably on a Bright Star deployment adopted the term to mean the Middle of NOWHERE. So BFE South Carolina means the middle of nowhere in SC.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mental Meanderings said...

I seem to remember this rather large facility that used to be in that so descriptive part of SC where they made atomic bombs. This is probably something leftover from that and your training center may no longer be there, just like that other facility.

9:07 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

No, possibly but this had a nice newly repaved looking road running from the sign towards....? Some day maybe I'll drive down the rtoad and see how far I get before armed guards stop me.

This area is quite a ways awary from the old SRP.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it even a military facility? Lots of nuclear power plants have visitor centers and training centers attached to them.

http://www.nucleartourist.com/us/robinson.htm

5:59 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Oh I doubt it is a military facility. It was just unexpected.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I had no idea the story behind the whole BFE-Bum Fuq Egypt phrase. Learning something new from you everyday exmi...Whats next?

8:32 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

BFE is really a place in Egypt? That's weird, I always thought it was somewhere in Texas. ;)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have seen Bum Fuq on a chart while navigating the Suez when I was in the Navy.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home