a Someone should care, maybe not you....: I have to wonder.... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

15 August 2008

I have to wonder....

Today the President of Georgia came out of a 5 hour meeting with Secty Of State Rice visibly upset and gave a speech that condemned the west for failing to help his country . He signed the French negotiated cease fire ( a very good spot for a joke about what France is good for here) but he was not happy about it. the Presidents of Latvai, lithuania, Estonia, and Poland pretty much compare this to the Munich accords that partitioned Czechoslovakia before the second world war. This cease fire doesn't quite do that but it pretty much guarantees that Georgia will lose Abkhazia and South Ossetia. Despite calling for the withdrawal of Russian troops it also allows them to continue "security operations"

I rather expect the meeting consisted of Rice telling him this is best you are going to get take it or leave it because we aren't going to send troops or do anything real to help you now. This is a HUGE win for Russia. The Baltic states have to be wondering how much their NATO membership means now and if the west would do anymore for them than it did for Georgia.

I would really like to see the Ukraine and Poland send troops to Georgia as "peace keepers". I don't think they will. they would be under immense pressure from the US not too but it would be nice to see someone stand up to the Russians here.

I sometimes wonder why anyone trusts us as allies. (Well, anyone outside western Europe, Japan, and Korea at least) W haven't done anything but sell supposed allies down the river since the late 50's. (an exaggeration I know, but not much of one.)

I really didn't expect us to go to war with Russia. but we could have done something better that issue stern statements.

10 Comments:

Blogger opit said...

Poland opted for US missiles on their soil : something the treaty that the Sovs accepted in return for withdrawing forces from Europe explicitly forbade.
Too much like the scenario leading up to the Cuban Missile Crisis for my taste.

1:34 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I'm not surprised that Poland accepted something they had been hesitating on now. they want US troops on the ground in their country so if Russia decides to play there there is a bigger deterrent.

11:03 AM  
Blogger opit said...

The damned things didn't work in the 60's : we had them here with nuclear warheads. After 2 years they were pulled.
Physics just won't allow interception reliably - let alone multiple reentry vehicles plus multiple missiles.
All that Poland has gained is painting a bullseye on itself.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most help the US can give:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/u_s_advises_allies_not_to

9:11 PM  
Blogger opit said...

The RSS just kicked out this Stratfor article via They Gave Us a Republic
http://www.theygaveusarepublic.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=245

9:57 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Can't argue with Stratfor on that one. I knew the Kosovo thing was going to cause problems and I have always said so. The Russians are enjoying rubbing or noses in it too.

7:48 AM  
Blogger opit said...

Given your past posts on Afghanistan, I wonder what you think about this article. I'm even 'worse' from your viewpoint because I don't believe anymore that 'mistakes have been made'. I take that as disinformation for the rubes.
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20080825_hedges_afghanistan_worsening/?ln

5:01 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

I get into truthdig but not to any particular article with that link. What should I be looking for?

12:02 PM  
Blogger opit said...

I see what you mean. Truthdig is acting like a kludge. Common Dreams archived the Aug 25 article Pouring gasoline on the Afghanistan fire by Christopher Hedges http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/08/24/11125/
I believe the bombing/artillery of 'native populations' absolutely kills not just civilians, but any chance of gaining their trust and willing cooperation. It really seems a no-brainer.

6:31 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Read the article. I will do a complete post on it this coming week.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home