a Someone should care, maybe not you....: What to do..... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

07 June 2010

What to do.....

I have really let this blog go lately. And frankly I have considered just folding up camp and quitting. (Hell, I’ve pretty much done that by default anyway) I am just having a hard time finding anything that makes me want to write. It doesn’t help that I really don’t have anything real to add to the story in Afghanistan anymore. It has been so long since I was there that my experiences while interesting perhaps are not terribly relevant to the current situation. So anything I had to say would jut be me throwing an opinion around about what someone else wrote. There are millions of bad blogs out there doing that. Some of them get thousands of readers and people make money off them but those folks usually are pushing a political agenda and I’m not. In fact that is my second problem. Domestic politics disgusts me right now. On pretty much every front I have nothing but loathing for the agenda driven hacks in Washington. Democrats and Republicans alike are more interested in their talking points than they are in getting anything done. The extremists in both parties are driving the bus right now. Any politician who tries to cooperate with a member of the other party is promptly voted out of office in favor of someone who is more ideologically pure. Of course vast hordes of Americans say the same thing, so why does it keep happening? Because most of those vast hordes won’t get off their asses and actually vote. They may go out in the general election but by then the damage is done, they are left with two really lousy choices. I have friends who say they have never voted because it doesn’t matter and the politicians are all they same and don’t represent them. Well, the politicians represent the people who A. Give them money. And B. Vote for them. If you sit back and say “I’m not voting. It doesn’t matter.” Well all I can say is STFU with your complaining about government. You have the government you deserve.

The only really bright point I have seen in politics lately came, much to my surprise, in the Georgia state legislature. They actually got smart and rescinded “Zero Tolerance” policies in the school system. Our legislature finally realized that arresting kids for having a pocket knife or an aspirin at school really wasn’t a good idea.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

Hey EXMI, I too feel you on being disgusted with politics in our current paradigm. And the Alvin Greene story is very interesting; it just shows that Dems can be pretty sore losers and that I think that the Dems and GOPers are two sides of the same coin. Thanks for stopping by the other day and adding your two cents. I still get chills down my spine when I consider the smart people who commented on my story but none of them (myself included) could come up with a better way to STOP killing innocents, however that term is defined.

If you ever saw the movie Putney Swope you'd think about Alvin Greene right now. I wonder what will happen with him...Do you think the Dems will try to run another candidate come November on the basis that Mr. Greene's win was 'orchestrated'?

10:39 PM  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

BTW don't quit your blog. You have a lot of VERY interesting things to say. Talk about other passions you have. I know that you are very smart with varied knowledge. Sometimes politics gets stale because we get so disgusted. BUT the blog can still serve as a repository for thoughts and sometimes I go to my blog to recall a thought that's a little fuzzy in my head;)

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home