a Someone should care, maybe not you....: A mosque .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

20 August 2010

A mosque

I keep hearing the various voices crying out that there shouldn't be a mosque built in south Manhattan near the old World Trade Center. (aka Ground Zero)
I am tired of this. I am REALLY tired of this. On this one point at least I and President Obama are in agreement. This is the USA. WE have freedom of religion. There is absolutely no legal reason to prevent these people from building a community center or a mosque there. The arguments the opponents pull out are just damn foolish.

"They will use it to celebrate a great victory over America." Hogwash. They are Americans. And even if they did, we have the first Amendment to the Constitution that guarantees them the right to do just that. Get over it.

"It is an insult to the families of those who died on that day!" Really even to the families of Tariq Amanullah, Aisha Harris, Mohammed Jawara, Khalid Shahid, or any of the many other Muslims who died that day?

Newt Gingrich's (who I had mistakenly given credit for developing rationality in the last few years)comments are beyond stupid. "We wouldn't allow a Japanese Cultural Center at Pearl Harbor." Maybe not but I'll bet there are several good Japanese restaurants very by. And I wouldn't be surprised if there were a Japanese church near by either. Interestingly, many Japanese go to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. I haven't heard about many of them beating their chests and celebrating their victory over us. IN the same vein, his comments about Nazis building a memorial near the Holocaust memorial are pretty stupid too. Unsurprisingly there aren't a lot of real Nazis left, Neo-Nazis are a whole different breed and it has already been decided that they can hold marches right in Jewish neighborhoods with holocaust survivors living there. Blame it on that pesky constitution again.

I am personally offended by this insane assault on all Muslims because some terrorist loons attacked us. I am offended on behalf of the Muslim guys that were in my military unit when we deployed. I am offended on behalf of the Muslims who fought with us in Afghanistan and Iraq against Al-Queda when I was in the service and those who are fighting and dying now to put down these extremist nut jobs.

These men and women have a right to church. If Newt Gingrich, Harry Reid, and Sarah Palin, (I'll leave out radio loud mouths)can't recognize that right out of common decency they should AT LEAST recognize the Constitution of the United States of America. All of them at some point (well maybe not Palin, not sure what Alaskan governor's oath of office looks like) have sworn an oath to uphold and protect it.
Color me disgusted.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are exactly right. And I agree totally, but I think the timing and placement may be in poor taste.

The minute that we take their mosque away, it opens the door for them to start shutting down churches across the country.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

NOT TO MENTION:
That is ONE of hundreds of buildings located within blocks of Ground Zero-- an area that already includes a couple of mosques, strip clubs, bars, and Off Track Betting. Are we really so willing to stand by and excuse blantant racism and bigotry in the name of honoring the dead!?!

10:53 PM  
Blogger opit said...

I couldn't agree more ( do you consider that a bad sign ? ) A veteran of the antifacist war in Spain before World War II had something to say about the results of his time spent in Psyops. I don't think the essentials have changed much.
How Shock Jocks inspire hatred and anger
http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/107326/
If the link won't resolve it's because it's loooong. The original is in
http://opitslinkfest.blogspot.com/2009/07/perception-alteration.html

5:48 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

This is one of the times where many people that I often agree with disagree with me and vice versa (how does one spell that?)

Welcome back Serena, hope to see more of you in the future. Thanks for the commnet Knot.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

Well said. I agree with you 100%.

7:30 PM  
Blogger opit said...

I usually go with vice-versa but recognize the phrase the way you wrote it.
Something must have stung a butt churchwise. I actually found oldline churches condemning the hypocrisy online.
http://opitslinkfest.blogspot.com/2010/09/23-september-evangelismforced.html
I didn't get the buzz I found first time - maybe it's been 'sanitized.The 'Dominionism' Wikpedia entry used to note a YouTube video about a rite administered to Palin to protect her from witchcraft. That rather aligns with the sounds from Africa.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home