a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Enough politics.... more bread. .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

05 September 2005

Enough politics.... more bread.



I awoke this morning with the urge to eat fresh bread, so out came the cookbook. by lunch time I had finished and the long loaf on the left is already gone, warm with butter and rasberry jam. This Nan recipe comes from the book you see behind the bread, Afghan Food & Cookery.


5.25 cups flour (I used 3 whole wheat, remainder white)
1.5 tsp salt
1 pkt yeast
4-5 tsp vegetable oil (optional)
2 cups warm water

Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Add the yeast and mix to combine the dry ingredients. Mix in vegetable oil (I used olive oil) and rub in with hands. Gradually add the warm water to the flour mixture and mix with hands until a smooth round, soft dough is formed. Knead for another 7 to 10 minutes until the dough is elastic and smooth. Form into a ball, cover with a damp cloth and let sit in a moderately warm location and let sit for an hour or until dough has doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 500degrees. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and place in oven to get hot. Divide dough into four equal sized ball, shape or roll out the dough into oval shapes about 1/2 inch thick. Wet your hand and make deep grooves down the center of each. According to the book groves are made by hand when a women cooks the nan and they are cut in when a man makes it.) I used various implents to decorate/cut the nan.
Remove the hot baking tray from the oven and place the nan onto it. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the nan is golden brown. I cooked mine on a pizza stone in the oven, one or two loaves at a time.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

You bake too? wow

3:03 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Yes, I am the multitasking blog man. Where else can you get a political rant, learn how to hunt spiders at night, and get bread recipes?

5:40 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

I'm still waiting for you to come cook for me!

2:46 AM  
Blogger DS Irvin said...

I had some bread like this the other day at an Afghan restaurant. Soooo good

8:00 AM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

Torture! Torture!

10:34 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

Well if you are any where near south Georgia feel free to swing by.

IV - you have an Afghan resturant? I am jealous.....

1:38 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Sounds like a lot of work. I'll let someone else make the bread. I'll cook the meat. :)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

Just as long as the spiders don't end up in the bread.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Sonja said...

Looks delicious! Too bad you can't post some of the yummy freshly-baked-bread smell on here.

8:08 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

There would be some advantages to being able to post smells, but I can just imagine the abuse it would be put to.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home