a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Oh well.... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

21 December 2005

Oh well....

I had a variety of "burning issues" that could bear discussing. The governmental wiretapping of US citizens, elections in Iraq, a young man who as "exploited" to the turn of hundreds of thousands of dollars, (that is money he got by being "exploited", and more like all of these. Instead , I have a call for more war stories. Guess I have been too serious lately or something. Way back in July I posted about my first night in Kuwait. Rain-in-dessert I think I'll talk about the reception we got at Camp Udari Kuwait.
After a day at the Kuwaiti International Airport Two companies from our battalion were loaded on busses to get shipped out to Camp Udari. Udari is a tent city in the middle of nowhere just south of the Iraqi border. IT was a long bus ride in un airconditioned Kuwaiti busses. We got there after dark and were promptly split up. It seems A company, the interrogators, was going to be attached to an Active duty MI battalion for the war and H company (LRSA) was going to sit around with nothing to do. So we settled into a big tent as best we could in the dark without much light (this was early in the war and light control was still being enforced). The next morning we were called together to meet the Commander of the Active duty company we were attached to. He brought us in to a little clearing, sat us down and said, "I don't know why you are here. I didn't ask for you, I don't want you, and I have nothing for you to do. Any of you that speak Arabic MAY, no promises buy you MAY get called forward. The rest of you stay here, stay out of trouble, and don't bother us."
Needless to say none of us were excited. Activated, called off to war, taken from our jobs and lives to be told to sit down, shut up, don't bother us.
That pretty much set the tone for my time in Kuwait. A few of us did eventually get set to Camp Bucca near Basra, a couple of others got hooked to some other units and sent up to Baghdad. I spent a fair amount of time driving in convoys and a week on guard duty there at the camp. Exciting times.
In the upcoming days I will tell tales of the convoy (when I should have been killed) and the Guard duty, (in which I heard some fo the most terrifying words of my life. At least in retrospect, at the time I was too busy to be properly scared.)

Hope eveyone is getting their gift buying done, Christmas is near for those who celebrate it and for those who don't, well, have a good time too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

I actually don't have any shopping to do this year!
I am dying to know your thoughts on how Sadam's trial is progressing. I am supposed to be playing tourist, and was glued to CNN all day today. It is almost as though Divorce Court and Jerry Springer got together for a one night stand before the Jerry Springer Show told the Divorce Court he was really her best friend's baby's daddy, and he di'nt want nuthin' to do with their bastard child that is Sadam's trial. It is a zoo, and while I am normally a no nonesense kind of gal when it comes to the justice system, I am loving every minute of it.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

AT LAST, the good stuff. Merry Christmas.

8:39 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Love these Exmi stories. Oh, and hope you had a good Christmas.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on wiretapping.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! word games Lexapro wheezing Delaware erbs palsy lawyer Taking zoloft with wellbutrin rechargeable batteries pancreatic cancer New york land rover range rover dealers Consumer reports review of hepa air filter Trim kits for refrigerators N2p voip phone http://www.domainnameregister0.info Baseball gift baskets Blackberry folder management app

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home