a Someone should care, maybe not you.... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

25 July 2006

It was pointed out to me that while I may enjoy writing political/current evetn rants you folks, (judging from the comments that get left behind) seem to enjoy my other posts alot more. So whiel the situation the Georgia (the country not the state) is a bit intriguing to me I will leave it be for the moment and write of something else.

I briefly mentioned that the dog had eaten my TV antennae. This comment has elicited a few comments of it’s own and a question or two so I thought I would expand on it. Since the recent demise of Beadle I have two dogs residing at my house. There is DD; she is MY dog. I have had her for about 7 years. (with some shared custody with my parents, my sister, and Stephalapogous at various times when the Army sent me away from home. She is a Pit Bull Labrador mix. She is large, black, and intimidating as hell to those who don’t know her, those that do know her know that there is a greater likelihood of her beating you to death with her tail than ever biting you. She definitely inherited the Lab personality. Then there is the other dog, Zoe. Zoe was a stray who showed up at the house last year while Stephalapogous was renting my place. Stepha is congenitally unable to turn away an animal that looks sad. Zoe moved in. Zoe is white, has some form of Shepard and maybe some collie in her. Who knows? She is a grade A mutt.



Now when the temp gets hot as it always does in the summer here DD becomes the great digger. It is cooler in the earth so she digs in to stay cool. In one of her dig
ging she managed to open a way under the house. In so doing she peeled away the siding blocking and moved in to dig a hole directly under one of the AC ducts. When I came home she was happily ensconced there enjoying the cool. Zoe will also dig but that is not her great failing. NO, she is immensely curious about every thing and, not having hands, she uses her mouth to explore strange new things, things that move, or things that she steps on. This result in her eating a variety of things around the yard including but not limited to hoses, a wind mill, water pumps in the goldfish pong (how she did this without electrocuting herself is a great mystery since she chewed through the power cord too), sprinklers, a couple of clams out of the goldfish pool, and a variety of other things. Needless to say, once she got under the house what does she find but this strange cables running all over the place. She promptly explores them by tugging and pulling on them and OH JOY!, they move. She grabs and pulls. In so doing she rips the antennae cable out of the back of the TV and down through the floor the pulls on it until she manages to break it off. Luckily it broke where it ran under something or she probably would have pulled the antennae down. (Yes, for those who are just noticing this I did say antennae. I have no cable or satellite TV, just the big old antennae at the side of the house. The previous owners had had satellite set up for multiple receivers in the house. She found the main cable for that and ripped it out of the place too. So when I returned, there was a huge mass of cable in the front yard with Zoe happily chewing on it, and DD as previously stated planted under the house.

Now that I have told you that, I will expand and tell you this. Without TV reception I have been DVDing a lot. I just recently finished watching the first two seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was a big fan of this program when it was on. To the point of actually getting a satellite connection primarily so I could watch it. (Well, it and the novellas on Univison, but that is another story) I was certainly not part of the target audience for the program but had really enjoyed the movie (although I disliked the ending) and quite liked the writing of the program. The second season of Buffy was, IMNSHO, probably the best of all of them. Spike was great, they had good plots, it has too much of the teen girl Angst that so many fans loved, Angel went evil which improved his personality and his posture immensely and then he got killed, and Spike makes a great speech on why he doesn’t want the world to end. (dog racing, Manchester United, and billions of “happy meals with legs”)
As I think of this program I am rather surprised that there wasn’t more controversy as things went along. I mean look, you had a variety of teachers in “inappropriate” relationships with students. (Not including the Giles/Buffy and the gang thing.) You had an adult male, Angel, having a sexual relationship with a minor child, Buffy, which is, as we all know, rape because no one under the age of 18 can EVER consent to sex with an adult. Later you have a heterosexual character changing into a homosexual character. (Don’t give me any of that “Willow was always a lesbian she just didn’t know it crap. She was way to enthusiastically heterosexual with OZ to be confused and wondering.) (She was also a much more interesting character when she was straight, although that might have something to do with the personality less lump they paired her with) The program was a veritable cornucopia of forbidden themes. And all done as a teen fantasy/adventure/romance show. Damn that Josh Whedon is a good writer!

13 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

1st: Zoe- LOL.
2nd: a man after my own heart-- I. LOVE. Buffy. But, I do disagree: Senior year was the best. The Mayor is the all-time best Buffy villain, followed by Glory (of course)-- season 5 was another great. AND! I know all of the songs to the musical by heart.
-- be honest, have you lost a little bit of respect for me?
3rd: Being so far away from American TV, I always check your blog for the political stuff-- keep it up.

12:29 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

The mayor was a good villain. But I still like Spike when he was evil, not the comic relief he later became. I own the soundtrak to Musical Buffy, both the official one and the one I downloaded off the net shortly after the show came out.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I have just seen a whole new side to your personality after reading this post and Im not sure if I am more shocked or amused. I am grinning right now as I write this.

I love the parts about the dogs..thats great! *laughing*

But...exmi, I had no idea or would have ever picked you for a Buffy fan. I gotta tell you..I didnt go hard core and see each and every one. But I used to love watching Buffy and Angel too. And yes Spike was definitly one of the best villian characters.

As far as the whole Buffy/Angel relationship..I think there was more focus on the fact he was a vampire and technichally dead than the fact he was older.

Besides lets fact it..Buffy could kick butt and take names. I dont think she was getting taken advantage of.

And I hate to say it because it sounds very girly of me..But there is just something about the sullen brooding bad boy type...yeah buddy!

6:51 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Well, like I said, I certainly wasn't the target audience for the program. the program definately focused ont he Vampire/vampire slayer aspect of the relationship. I ma just surprised that some of the "Save The Children!" crusaders didn't jump on the issue. I'll bet they would if it came on today. (Have they nothing better to do with their time?)
As for Buffy's butt kicking ability, I think one of the interesting aspects of the show was that despite this ability people did take advantage of her regularly and it was a part of the show was her learning not to let that happen. As part of growing up is the same thing.
Brooding sullen bad boys... Well I wouldn't know.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

Brooding, sullen boy? Yes, please!
I remember watching some terrible news program once, they were talking about teen sex and how it was represented on TV. When asked about why the consequences of teenage sex were rarely shown on tv and what responsibility the networks themselves thought they had to their audience, one replied:
"I think you're wrong. Consquences of sex are often shown on television. Look what happened to Buffy after she had sex-- her vampire boyfriend lost his soul and started killing people she loved. (ok, paraphrased)"

11:56 AM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

At least you have a/c, right? And I'm not that bad. I have managed to leave the multiple chihauha's I've been offered with their current families. It helps that I have a mountain lion living next door to work & I can go visit it on my break, but that's a detail.

The Buffy episode where the beer de-evolves the college students is my all time favorite.

3:02 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Beer Buffy is one of the GREAT episodes.....

3:15 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Wait, chihauhuas and a mountain lion, I see a good mix there.......

3:22 PM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

So do I - every day. ;-)

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you like Josh's writing did you get into "Firefly" ? ( Attended by multiple podcasts about "The Signal".) Hey, it's not every day you find a Western Space Opera - with lessons in Mandarin Chinese, yet !

11:00 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

I never saw Firefly when it was on TV but I have the DVD set and the movie. It was good.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Christmas Day falls on December 25. It is preceded by Christmas Eve on December 24, and in some countries is followed by Boxing Day on December 26. Some Eastern Orthodox Churches celebrate Christmas on January 7, which corresponds to December 25 on the Julian calendar. December 25 as a birthdate for Jesus is merely traditional, and is not thought to be his actual date of birth.Sincerely

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Lexapro ejaculation Fly fishing book club how to format a harddrive California king mattress pads

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home