a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Food! .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

04 August 2006

Food!

Or to be more specific, Cake. The other day I got a bit of junk mail from Southern Living advertising a recipe book. As part of it they had a recipe for a Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese frosting. I took a quick look and decided this was a go. So , last night I baked again. It is good.

Cake:

1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Cream Cheese Frosting
Chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)

Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Stir in apple slices and 1 cup walnuts. Spread into a greased 13- x 9-inch pan.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting; sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.

Frosting

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar and salt, beating until blended. Stir in vanilla.

Now, as usual I modified the recipe a bit to fit my needs. I used the hard pears that grow here instead of apples. I have an apple tree but the few apples it produces are about the size of a golf ball. (and those are the big ones) So, pears it was. Also I only had one cup of regular sugar so I finished up that two cups of sugar bit with a cup of brown sugar.

Over all the cake is excellent.


10 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

exmi
You are a man of many interests and talents. You like watching the world..dogs and Buffy...After seeing this cake...I am seriously considering proposing.

*grin*

11:22 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

Ah, so if I could have gotten you to taste it....... ;)

4:46 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

*laugh*
exmi didnt anyone ever tell you that you shouldnt throw your bait into the water unless you really want to catch a fish?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Miranda said...

Looks good! Will try it soon!

10:27 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Ah Jen, it isn't that I wouldn't like catching a fish, it just that as my friends say, if I coaught one I'd look cbemusedly at it for awhile then ask if it wanted to learn to fence.

Miranda - long time no see. Welcome back.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

You are not that bad.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

can I expect a "Coming Soon" post on recent airway travel events...I hope?

10:23 PM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

I know this is not something you willingly look at, but next trip to Wal-Mart look at the latest All-You mag. There are some recipes you might find interesting, as well as a few web sites for recipes you can cheerfully make fun of. They involving those green things called veggies.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chunky Vegetable Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting?

Maybe it's time for another political post instead.

5:35 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Vegetable? What is this vegetable thing you speak of? I thought when food was green it was a sign to throw it away.....

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home