a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Transvestites? .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

13 November 2006

Transvestites?

I mentioned that I was about to do a post on transvestites the other day and got distracted by pork flavored humans. Well, back on topic.....

A couple of weeks ago I had two movies at my house. One was a stand up comedy routine by Eddie Izzard and the other was the movie Kinky Boots. NOw for those who may not know, Eddie Izzard is a transvestite. (An Executive, Action transvestite to be specific.) Kinky Boots is a movie about a shoe factory in England that is going broke. After a chance meeting between a Drag Queen named Lola and the owner of the factory the ownder decides that ther might be a niche market he can exploint in making sexy boots for drag queens.
Now, where these two intersect as to attract my attention is in the word Transvestite. IN KInky Boots the term Transvestite is used for Lola. Even more so in the comments on the movie if I recall correctly. The term "Drag Queen" I cannot recall being used in the film at all but I may have missed it. Lola is a homosexual wonderfully played by Chiwetel Ejiofor. I say this becsaue in Eddie Izzards routine he talks about being a transvestite and one of the things he states quite firmly is that Transvestites are not the same as Drag Queens. To paraphrase him, A Transvestie is a male tomboy, you could even say a male lesbian in that they like to dress like girls but they still like girls. Drag Queens are a position held by Gay men. He says most trnasvestites are hetrosexual. Now I personally don't know. I am sure there is some clearly defineing difference but I was jsut struck when watching the two films that someone obviously had their terminiology wrong.
I just thought it was interesting.

Oh, and by the way, Go watch Kinky Boots and find Eddies DVDs. They are both great.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm eagerly anticipating the ads AdSense chooses to match the keywords in this entry.

I'd Google, but I'm afraid to type in "boot flavored transvestite pork DVD". That probably links somewhere, and I'd just rather not know.

8:37 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

I typed in Boot flavored transvestite pork DVD into google for you. It was surprisingly unhumorous in what it turned up.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, yep. That was a bust.

I notice Google still has its techie bias, where "boot" is more likely to get you an page on starting a computer than to footwear. I once was trying to look up varieties of fruit trees, and had a heck of a time wading past "Apple".

10:23 AM  
Blogger opit said...

When viewing British farce, be aware their sense of the ridiculous is very pronounced. Lying for the fun of it - and as satire - is pretty much the order of the day.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home