a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Mornings that make you go huh? .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

05 March 2007

Mornings that make you go huh?

This past Sunday morning I was getting ready for a fencing tournament when around 0700 I heard a gunshot very near by. Now hearing a gunshot where I live isn't all that rare although it has fallen off a bit since hunting season is pretty much done. It still happens as people are target shooting or whatever but not usually so close or so early in the AM (since deer season ended) I stepped out into my yard a minute or two later and saw a goat trotting past the "guest house" which is a bit unexpected as the dog who lives at my house and my dog both tend to get excited by things like that. In fact, I am relatively sure that the dog which lives at my house would have run the thing down and killed it had she been in the yard. As I was pondering this and watching the goat I noticed a man, followed by two children coming out of the wood line into my yard. The man had a pistol in his hand. He saw me and apologized for coming into the yard and said they were "Just trying to catch that darn goat!" Said goat had meanwhile exited my yard by the driveway and was heading into the field across the road. I commented that I was surprised that my dogs hadn't eaten it and the man said he thought he had seen my dog further down the road a bit earlier. Then he and the kids ran after the goat. The man got into the road, and fired a shot,
stuck the pistol into the back of his pants, waved the kids off the chase, and took off running after the goat. The goat headed for an old hay barn where the man shot again. I was really wondering at first how firing a pistol was helping him catch a goat when it dawned on me that catching the goat wasn't really the plan, he was going to shoot the goat and apparently wasn't that great a shot with a pistol. I guess the Sunday afternoon BBQ had escaped and he was tasked to track it down. I suppose
the kids would carry the body back. He got the goat behind the hay barn but I didn't stay in the yard to observe, I had stuff to get ready before my ride to the tournament showed up.

But it certainly wasn't the USUAL Sunday morning event.......

9 Comments:

Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

As long as he didn't confuse the goat with the dog. That would make me tense.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was already tense while reading, expecting that that was where the story was headed.

Shooting your dog would really have gotten your goat.

10:26 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

Shooting my dog would have started a war that would burn villages to the ground, scorch the earth and salt the wells........

12:47 PM  
Blogger Blue Girl, Red State said...

I had a neighbor when we lived off-base in Wichita Falls who shot tarantulas with a .22. We moved on-base.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a reason the comment page is in Japanese? That is, the main blog is normal, the comments are in English, but the interface is all Japanese. I get to see, for instance, "exmi-san wa kakimashita" ("exmi wrote"). Or above this box, it helpfully lets me know that "HTML tagu... dekimasu" ("HTML tags can be used").

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it works from the browser at home... Just another morning to make me go 'huh'?

7:39 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Japanese? How strange.....

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You like that? Well, it's in Korean now. This perhaps makes sense since I happen to be in Seoul at the moment, and they could be trying to get clever about detecting my location from the IP address. But the Japanese occurred on my browser in the USA.

3:34 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I guess you just attract wierdness on the computer my friend.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home