a Someone should care, maybe not you....: New Tech .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

25 January 2007

New Tech

The Army has unveiled the newest thing in non-lethal weapons. A giant heat ray called the Silent Guardian. Boy it sure sounds like we have hit the science fiction zone now but it is real. A Humvee with a big dish on the top emits a ray of energy that penetrates the skin to a depth of .4mm; just enough to activate the nerve endings but not enough to actually injure anyone. Those who have been hit by it, including a Reuters journalist, describe it as a feeling like standing in directly in front of a very hot oven and opening the door. So hot that it makes you duck away. This will be an ideal weapon to scatter stone throwing crowds and such as it has a range of about 500 meters.
I am sure there will be a lot of protesting about horrible abusive system but it beats getting shot. I wonder how long it will be before police depts start getting them for use in major cities? ( and then the real protests will begin.)

BBC Article

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tin-foil hat time. But literally, now. Not just hats, either, but full body condoms.

I have a lot of misgivings about this, being one who has been known to take to the streets and peacably assemble. Which is my guaranteed right under the Constitution.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stone throwing, loiting rioters? Use it.

Peaceful gatherings of people making their opinion known?
Use it and talk about a major scandal, heads rolling, and loss of a useful tool.

So I guess the question lies in just who makes the decisions?

8:20 AM  
Blogger opit said...

In conjunction with the losses of civil rights that have been going on, I'd have to say this is all of a piece with controlling dissent : I'm sure you've seen the blasts against those who believe the Bush government would screw up the Lord's Prayer.
Even if you think such is right and proper, what happens if and when the government is totally subverted ? ( I don't think you have to wait for that scenario ! )
Given Gitmo and alGharib reports, plus invasion of Iraq - and fighting being the preferred method of handling disputes, degrading when that is too obvious - restraint of authorities is hanging by a thread already.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, it "opit" actually a person? The text has an oddly computer-generated quality to it to my ear.

5:24 PM  
Blogger opit said...

Oy ! I've been told before I need to loosen up : blame reading a lot of literature and mixing up sci-fi and historical fiction. I don't have much of an ear for street talk - except vulgarity picked up at a military collegiate eons ago.
There is a website http://opit.wordpress.com/ : mostly I post links from surfing the web on articles I thought worth reading. Comments I track with CoComment because I link-hop and don't know where I'll end up.

4:41 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Yeah opit is a person. (or the best bot ever written on the net. :) )
This sort of thing has been in the works for a long time. I suspect ti is as safe or maybe safer (inb the short term at least) than tear gas beening shot at folks.

I wonder what effect being wrapped in tinfoil would have??? Baked potato maybe???

10:25 AM  
Blogger opit said...

Smarty. "Best bot on the net". Maybe I should just go for the notoriety.
Wrapped in the mesh used in microwave doors might be more practical. I'm assuming air passage and venting sweat might be preferable to not.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home