a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Skink .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

26 June 2007

Skink



A story about a skink was mentioned recently by a commenter and I promised I would tell the story. Sort of a closer to nature than some people want to be issue.....

Skinks, for those of you who don't know, are a variety of lizard. More info on them can be found here.

Just over a month ago, before tropical Storm Danny made people think there actually might be water in the sky that falls down to earth some times, I was out watering a couple of trees in my back yard. I normally don't do this ecept for the fruit trees but on of these two trees had just had half it's leaves die and fall off so I figured some agua was in order. As I stood there watching the water run out onto the ground and spread around I heard a rustling noise and saw a large skink come over and start drinking. I watched him for a few minutes then I moved. When I moved he realized there was something up in the air above him and he ran for cover. Where he ended up running though was up the back of my leg. He took up station at about my belt in the middle of my back and sat there. If I craned my head one way he would move the other way. I really thought this was quite funny and wished that there was someone around who could take a picture of this guys hiding from me on my own back. Unfortunately there wasn't and I eventually did a little hop/jump thing that got him to jump off and run into the bushes to hide again.

The picture at the top is not the skink in question but could well be a relative. He lives in the front yard and the back climber lives in the back yard. Back Climber is also substantially larger.

8 Comments:

Blogger Blue Girl, Red State said...

Glad I came over to visit you today. That is a great story. The 40 acres in the country was pretty - rustic - when we were a young couple first starting to date. Rustic as in sink-a-bucket and no plumbing - it was a hunting cabin bought in the early 60's by his Dad.

I am a city girl. The first night I spent out there, I got out of bed in the middle of the night to heed natures call. When I flipped the switch for the "pole light" three skinks ran from the warm concrete well curb, I screamed - and we went to town on the spot.

I soon adapted and adjusted, and by golly - I can still sink a bucket on the first try. Although the little place we built to get away is modern and has rural water, we didn't fill in the well, we put a safety grid in and a heavy cover in place - because, well, you just never know.

7:30 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Wells are a good thing. I am looking forward to getting enough spare money to put mine on solar panels so I don't pay the power company for water.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Train the skinks to run on a treadmill.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a lot of them back when we lived in Texas. Junior loved catching them, and would talk about them non-stop.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

It would be a still better story if the skink had run up your leg UNDER your pants. I have a great vision of the dance that would have ensued.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Blue Girl, Red State said...

Hey there - I left you a present at my place. Tag. You're it.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Exmi, a new post perhaps? Missing your take on things, especially since we have a lot going on worldwide.

3:06 PM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Hey,
I moved my site to:
http://unitedwelay1.wordpress.com/

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home