a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Rights for security? .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

10 September 2005

Rights for security?

Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller former hear of MI5 in the UK said the following is a speech made on 1 September.  
She said civil liberties were valued and there was no wish to damage those "hard-fought for" rights.

"But the world has changed and there needs to be a debate on whether some erosion of what we all value may be necessary to improve the chances of our citizens not being blown apart as they go about their daily lives," she said.

As for this, I say NO.  Not only NO but HELL NO.  I am not willing to sacrifice any of my civil liberties for security.  Maybe I am selfish, I don't know, but frankly the road to a totalitarian state come from making small sacrifices of rights for the "good of the people"  I don't want to go there.    

7 Comments:

Blogger Forzavryheid said...

Ive got nothing to hide from anyone, so barring putting computer chips or some sort of similar device under my skin, Im up for people to monitor me if they feel Im a risk to security.

(shrug)

Otherwise I agree with what you say buddy!!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sonja said...

I'm with you there.
Thing is, politicians have this unattainable goal people expect them to live up to. When something bad happens (9/11, Katrina...), we're always looking around for someone to blame. "They should have done something to prevent this."
We need to accept that rights come with risks.

10:51 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

It's not that peopel have something to hide, it's that once government starts taking something they are going keep taking more. It is the nose of the camel so to speak.

European - Exactly!

3:50 AM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

I don't know who said it originally, but I heard Harry Brown (Liberartian Presidential Candidate) quote some famous philosopher as saying "He who sacrifices rights for security is bound to lose both." Works for me.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usually attributed (in several variants) to Ben Franklin.

4:28 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I am not willing to sacrifice any of my civil liberties for security.

And this is why I like you and you will be welcome in my anti-zombie compound anytime. :)

10:57 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Oh, and I got plenty to hide. Plenty. And frankly, what I have to hide is none of anyone's business.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home