a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Food, food, glorious food..... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

04 March 2006

Food, food, glorious food.....

My roommate and dear friend, Stephalopogus just moved out and I fixed her dinner before she went. Afghan chicken. It is a simple recipe:

*2 large Cloves garlic
* 1/2 tablespoon of Salt
* 2 cups Plain, whole-milk Yogurt
* Juice and pulp of 1 large lemon, 3-4 tablespoons
* 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
* 2 large Whole chicken breasts, about 2 pounds

Put the salt in a wide, shallow non-reactive bowl with the garlic and mash them together until you have paste. Add yogurt, lemon and pepper.
Skin the chicken breasts, remove all visible fat and separate the halves. Bend each backward to break the bones so the pieces win lie flat. Add to the yogurt and turn so all surfaces are well-coated.
Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate. Allow to marinate at least overnight up to a day and a half. Turn when you think of it.
To cook, remove breasts from marinade and wipe off all but a thin film. Broil or grill about 6 inches from the heat for 6 to 8 minutes a side or until thoroughly cooked. Meat will brown somewhat but should not char. Serve at once.


It says it should be served with flatbread and yogurt. So I also made Nan and served it up. We weren't really sure what to do with the yogurt, put it on the bread, on the chicken, eat it on the side? We tried all three options but generally preferred the chicken without it. Over all though, a very successful meal. My variations on the recipe included using boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts because that is what I had in the house, I also didn't mix the marinade ingredients in the way described. I just dumped them all into the yogurt and stirred.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home