a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Apple pancakes.... .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

31 August 2006

Apple pancakes....

I mentioned the Finnish Baked Apple pancakes I made last week and said I would get back to them. Well, this morning I woke up early and made some for breakfast.


These are really quite simple to make.
You need
4 eggs, 1.5 cups of milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 cups of sifted flour, 3 tart apples, 3 tablespoons of butter, and cinnamon sugar (the book recommends 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 3 teaspoons cinnamon)

You beat the eggs until thick then add the milk, salt and sugar. Sift in the flour (I just added it) and mix it in well. Let the batter stand for 30 minutes while you peel, core, and slice up your apples and make the cinnamon sugar.
Now you butter two 8-9 inch pans well and sprinkle in some of the cinnamon sugar. Arrange the apples in the pans. Sprinkle the remainder of the cinnamon sugar on the apples and "dot with butter" I really have no idea what "dot with butter means so I melted the stuff and poured it onto the apples. Now pour the batter over the apples dividing equally between the two pans, bake for about 30 minutes at 375 or until the top of the pancake is golden and set.
Serve it hot. Cut into wedges. Traditionally cream is poured over the serving and you eat it that way.
I put Eddy's Vanilla Ice Cream on mine.
As a variation I made one of them with Apples and the other with hard pears picked from my trees. The Picture below is the one with pears.



I am still working on my long post which is a story from my time in Iraq which was brought to mind by this story.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Ohhhh Mannnnn this one looks so good!

You are a bad bad man...and I suspect proud of it.
*grin*

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Dot with butter" means to put little pieces or dabs of solid butter around the surface; it'll melt while cooking.

(Thus I can steal jen away with my demonstrably superior knowledge of cookery.)

3:17 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Jen - :)

Anon, thanks. But you will fail until you post better looking food than I do.

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like this?

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

2:00 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

3Score and I live in the same neck of the woods. His trees are bigger than mine though.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home