a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Guns .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

24 October 2005

Guns

In Brazil the right to own guns has been upheld in a national vote. A proposal was before the people to outlaw the sale of guns. Despite support for the ban from the government of Brazil, the Catholic Church and the United Nations (why are they involved at all in this??)sixty four percent of the people of Brazil voted against the ban. The yes campaign had held a lead at first but the NO campaign convinced people that banning the sale of guns would have no effect on the criminals who use guns because they don't buy them legally anyway. They also pointed out that gun ownership was a basic civil right that the government shouldn't try and take away. The attempted ban was the culmination of several efforts by the government of Brazil to control gun crime. Brazil has the world's highest deathtoll from guns.

It is good to see that somewhere in the world people aren't lining up to give up their freedoms and rights for an illusion of security. The people of Brazil realized that the Police cannot protect you from criminals. In fact, in parts of Brazil the police are the criminals. But even in the USA police won't protect you, they merely show up after the damage is done and try to clean up and catch whoever committed the crime. This is amply demonstrated over and over again. The most recent for me involves a house I own and rent out. In the past few weeks a car stereo and an air compressor have been stolen off the property, another attempt to break into a car was foiled by dogs as was an attempt to pry open one of the windows. This house in out in the country, calling the police (the sheriff actually) is nice but they will readily tell you that unless they just happen to be nearby it will take at least 15-20 minutes for them to arrive. So, can they protect the girl who rents my house? NO. After the last last incident the deputy who responded told her that she should get a gun and learn to use it in case the prowler returns. There is now a shotgun in the house.
Let's hear it for the Brazilians and hope that in the USA we have the fortitude to maintain our rights and freedoms too.

Brazilians reject gun sales ban

3 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

After the last last incident the deputy who responded told her that she should get a gun and learn to use it in case the prowler returns.

Now, that's a good cop.

You know, every time I read your blog, I learn something new. I had no idea about Afghanistan's history. I had no idea of the different groups in Iraq fighting. And I had no idea about Brazil and gun ownership.

4:52 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

I may not be able to teach school anymore but I still aim to educate someone......
Glad to know I am being successfull.

6:27 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Oh, just to let you know, I read parts of your blog to my wife and kid too, so you're getting at least three people here.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home