a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Pear cobbler (kinda) .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

19 October 2005

Pear cobbler (kinda)

I haven't done any cooking posts for awhile and I was missing them. (they seem to be more popular than my other stuff)
So here we go, The other day I went out to the house I own and I picked some big pears off the tree by the pond.

Now it may not be clear in this photo but a couple of these are double fist sized pears. They are all sweet and juicy. I was wondering what to do with them and decided on an improvised cobbler. (maybe a crumble would be a better term)
I cut a few of the pears up into fairly small pieces and popped them into the microwave to precook them. (this softens them up a bit, and it won't take nearly as long to cook the final product.) Then I ground some cinnamon onto the pears and liberally sprinkled brown sugar over them and stirred it together. Then I put some more brown sugar and some more cinnamon on it. I took a package of spice cookies (Sweetzels Spiced Wafers to be exact, put them in a zip lock bag and beat them to crumbs and pieces with a rolling pin. I then poured the cookie crumbs over the pears . As an afterthought I melted half a stick of butter and poured it over the crumbs and spinkled a little bit more brown sugar on top of that it in the oven on 350 for about 40 minutes and bingo.

With Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream this is a wonderful if not at all dietary treat.

There are a few things I will do differently when next I do this.
1. Mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and stir it into the crumbs before putting it on the pears. It will give a bit better consistency to the crust and spread the flavor around.
2. Mix the brown sugar and the pears and the cinnamon together a bit better. Maybe put it all in a bowl or a bag and thoroughly mix it before putting them in the pan.
3. Not bake quite so long. It got a little dark on top.

Any suggestions from other cooks?

(It is VERY good)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

This looks really good..My mom used to make a pear pie. And my grandmother makes this pear relish that is soooo good.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The butter and sugar go together with the fruit on the bottom.

A true Southern cobbler would use biscuit dough for the topping, probably sprinkled with sugar, maybe with a little sugar added to the dough itself.

1:51 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

Very true about the biscuit dough. I made another batch of this today and implemented the chages talked about. In addition I put foil over the dish while cooking to keep the cookie crumbs from drying out and becoming hard. The crust was excellent, soft and sweet from the butter pear juice. I didn't have quite as much cinnimon in this one and didn't cook it as long. so the flavor was not quite as strong and the pears were still a little bit hard. (just a tad crisp actually) which isn't a bad thing per se but wasn't what I was looking for. Guess I'll go pick some more pears and try again this weekend or Monday.

4:45 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

I love a guy who cooks. Honestly, this is one of the sexiest things you can post, for me, anyway.
But, I really do want to try this now. Can you send me some of those double fisted pears?

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a new recipe for pear pecan bread for you. It was a big hit at work (but these guys will eat almost anything)

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home