a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Disapointment .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

13 November 2007

Disapointment

Thanks to Netflix I finally got around to watching the much hyped and discussed 300. Frankly, I was disappointed. Stylistically it was very interesting. One could clearly see the comic roots of the project but film wise, there was nothing to it. A member of the fencing club sort of summed it up best when he said that it was like the WWF in a movie format. Lots of big men stand around talking macho and then there is a fight followed by more macho talk and another fight. I couldn’t argue with him on that. The characters were exceptionally two dimensional. The dialog was stilted and over blown. Plot development was about as linear and uninspired as it is possible to get. And of course, there were HUGE historical inaccuracies. The cinematography was very good. The fight choreography was excellent. (If you kept the fact that it is a comic book firmly in mind.) But overall I was a bit let down. There had been so much talk and frothing about it that I had expected more. I can see why some of the political left declared it a propaganda film. It was. But not to hype a war with Iran (Persia) as they claimed, just a standard “Look at the glories of Western Civilization” type film. And, as is typical with films of this nature, it treats the subject in a totally superficial manner. Which would have been ok I suppose if people had treated it as a comic book put on film when it came out instead of talking it up like some sort of serious cinema experience.
Oh well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mental Meanderings said...

If you did not like 300, stay far far away from Beowulf. Boy was that a stinker.

12:03 PM  
Blogger exMI said...

I didn't say I didn't like it. It was just a disappointment. Beowulf will end up in my netflix queue eventually.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved it. Yes, my degree is in history, and yes, it was so full of historical inaccuracies that, ok, I won't put in another cliché here.

But if you leave your brain at the door and watch it as an action comic book movie, it's for one thing beautiful to look at, and another thing, it was fun.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home