a Someone should care, maybe not you....: Surprise. I'm back .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Someone should care, maybe not you....

My thoughts on many things including the army, war, politics, the military corrections system, chaos, life, books, movies, and why there is no blue food. Feel free to comment on what I say. Feedback is nice.

My Photo
Name:

40+ year old former teacher, linguist, interrogator, soldier, and lastly convict. We all do stupid things every once and awhile. I am an economic conservative and a firm believer in civil rights. Starting a new life now and frankly not sure what I am going to be doing.

24 September 2011

Surprise. I'm back

I have been neglecting this blog lately. No real excuse except laziness and I guess lack of desire. I never even got around to doing that post on Syria. Sorry.

I came back because I was inspired to write by some of the recent events in Afghanistan. To be precise, by the killing of Rabbani. Now the fact that the Taliban/Haqqani forces killed Rabbani is no great surprise. He is a long time old enemy of the Taliban. I find it interesting though that they killed him in his role as negotiator with the Taliban for their peaceful integration into the Afghan political system.
There have been a lot of talking heads, pundits and "experts" saying that the only path to peace involves bringing the Taliban into the system.
The problem with this of course is that the Taliban leadership really has no interest. They do not want to be part of the political system in Afghanistan. They intend to be the political system in Afghanistan. There will be no sharing of power, no coalition government. The Taliban is quite convinced that the US is going bug out and that they will then take over. And sadly, it is quite possible. When I came home from Afghanistan I was convinced that the Taliban would never regain power because the Afghan people would not put up with it. Sadly, it looks like many of the Afghan people will just rollover and let them come back. (not all of course, it appears that the Ethnic minorities are busily rearming and preparing for a most unpleasant future.)
Victory goes to the last guy standing in the fight.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

t is shame dat few ppl dont want Taliban to regain power coz dey dont allow prostitution, drinking, movies, ummaried couples roaming like wild animals in parks etc., dey want to implement complete Islamic sharia'h with no corruption & abve mentned points...those who oppose dem lve all abv mentoned points......shame....


every1 shal taste death d life of dis wrld is nly d enjyment of decptn

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Kuta Bali Hotels said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:53 PM  
Blogger jack said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Fahim Naimi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:26 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

Wow, I am not sure what to think about anons comment. He seems to like the Taliban becasue they are repressive totalitarians. I am guessing he doesn't live there.

I got Fahim's comment in my mail. I wish you hadn't deleted it. It would make an interesting discussion.

4:08 PM  
Blogger opit said...

Not to put too fine a point on it - but they sound like my Baptist relatives. Nor do I think corruption in government is less than standard and the norm of our history. Custer ( yep - the Indian fighter ) was in bad odour in Washington despite being a Civil War hero because he made a stink about the President's brother doing graft on army procurement.
Think he was related to Cheney ?

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home